DID YOU KNOW….?
• That less than 5% of our nation’s virgin forests remain?!
• 40% of our forestland is clearcut for paper products?!
• Over 50% of our nation’s landfills is paper waste?!
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
1) Use post-consumer recycled paper or alternative paper sources, and encourage governments and businesses to recycle and use post-consumer recycled paper.
2) Support ecologically responsible forestry practices as well as the labor-intensive renewal and restoration of destroyed forests to create jobs.
3) Educate yourself and others about natural forest ecosystems.
4) Communicate with lawmakers, timber industries, paper manufacturers, neighbors, etc., who decide the fate of forest lands.
5) Support legislation to preserve ALL remaining ancient forests.
6) Contribute time, energy, and money to an environmental group working on forest issues.
7) Support a ban on raw log exports so that domestic industries can benefit by processing timber into finished wood products.
8) Support programs that retrain displaced loggers.
9) Plant trees or support a tree planting organization.
10) Consume less and encourage environmentally-friendly at practices at work, home and in the classroom (discourage use of paper towels, paper cups, products with wasteful packaging, disposable items).
Let’s stop killing the forest for the trees
Human well-being ultimately depends on the well-being of the complex ecosystem that is the forest. Forests don’t need people; they have existed long before humans appeared on Earth. However, humans can benefit from the forests in a variety of ways as long as we don’t take more than the forest can naturally provide.
Continue reading Celebrate Earth Day – You Can Make a Difference