Veggie burgers are always popular at potlucks and are great for lunches or snacks when traveling. They are simple to make and extremely healthy and well balanced. I posted the recipe a while ago, but now we have a video that should help you to make your own. They are pretty much a complete meal with vegetables, protein and grain. This recipe makes a bunch of small burgers – vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free.
Since I don’t use exact measurements, I use the texture to determine some of the quantities. The video should help you to get a sense of the consistency you are looking for. Note: in the video I am making a double batch using 2 cups of quinoa. The recipe below calls for 1 cup of quinoa which is more standard for a family.
Basic Recipe for Veggie Burgers
•Take one cup quinoa and add two cups water
• Bring to boil then turn off and let sit with cover for 45 minutes
• Put quinoa in large bowl and mix in finely chopped** 2 carrots, 1 large zucchini, 1 onion, 1 beet or other veggies such as kale or mushrooms. (I don’t recommend using sweet peppers since they have a lot more water content and would make them too moist)
• Mix in sprouted beans, black beans, garbanzo beans or refried beans
• Add in sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds if desired
• Add tomato sauce for extra flavor but not too much
• Stir and season with your choice of herbs, sea salt, or Spike (my favorite)
• Add in flax flour (or any gluten free flour) to create the consistency to form into a patty
• Form into patties like biscuits and place on oiled baking sheet
• Bake at 400 F (204 C) for 15 minutes, turn over, cook 15 minutes more
Eat as a stand-alone snack, main course or like a burger with all the toppings. But no need for bread or bun!
Featured in Non-GMO Cookbook
*This recipe was included in the Non-GMO Cookbook: Recipes and Advice for a Non-GMO Lifestyle by Megan Westgate & Courtney Pineau of the Non-GMO Project.
**I use a Ninja food chopper but a basic blender or sharp knife works too.
Happy healthy eating! Let me know how yours turned out. Send pictures. And when you comment on my blog, we’ll send you a free mp3 track of our music!